Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Delight of Food

I thought I would blog this morning as I feel chatty. It has been awhile since I have felt like talking or writing. I have been sad for months on top of being depressed. I don't know what has changed exactly for me lately but I like it. I'm sure it is particual my mood. During my summer of funk I stopped taking all my vitamin supplements. I started back a couple of weeks ago and feel so much more alive and functioning. I'm more like myself. I'm starting to have the summer that I planned . It is also showing signs of fall here. Some of the trees have started to turn some and the mornings are pretty crisp. I also see the days are getting longer. With signs of fall I start getting more of a nesting instinct to prepare for winter as they are very long here.
Anyway, I reseeded the yard yesterday and the weather was nice enough to rain and water it all in. I also managed to get most of my errands done also. I picked up my meat from the butcher. The freezer is now stocked for about 4 months. Until , beef goes on sale. Then I will get a side of beef. This time I got a cheap variety pack and about 15 pounds of skinless , boneless chicken breast. I'm pretty stocked for pork as the last time I got meat I stocked up on pork. I'm actually thinking about getting some lamb this fall from a local farmer up the way. It would make a change as I'm about beefed out.
I have been looking at different recipes lately and trying more marinades. One I found I like is called Wine Shallot: 1 cup dry white wine 1/4 cup of finely cut onion and shallot, 1 teaspoon oil 1/2 teaspoon each of cracked pepper and dry basil, 1/4 teaspoon of dry rosemary, and one bay leaf. I really like this on pork.
I also have made an easy ratouille doing hobo packs on the grill. A hobo pack is just a foil folded over all the vegetables. Eggplant, squash, tomatoe, onion , any type of peppers and seasonings. I served some naan (indian flat bread) brisked with some olive oil and heated up on the grill to go with it. It would be more french if you serve some sort of crusty bagette or french bread . Or with the ratouille sauting the vegetables before baking it. I just skipped that step as I like simple on a hot day.
I need to get ready for my jog this morning and finish my coffee while it is still warmish.

No comments:

Post a Comment